seanadams Wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply - I lost track of this thread. (All of this is
> "IIRC" - I haven't looked at this in a while)
>
> SB3 is not quite "i2s" ready, only because the data format is  shifted
> by one bit position.
>
> The reason was just a matter of convenience - the DAC supported several
> modes, so we chose the best mode rather than changing our audio output
> to i2s.
>
> Probably if you really wanted to connect it to an external i2s DAC, it
> would just be a matter of moving a jumper or changing one of the
> hard-wired pins on the DAC to set it to left-justified or 24-bit mode.

Ok, I'm convinced now. :)

This device aimed at few quite different consumer groups. Most of
"Audiophile" group tend to abandon the analog part of SB, because too
many have high quality outboard DACs. So for this group quality of SB's
digital chain is substantially more important, and this is where I'd
suggest to invest R&D resources. Just do whatever budget allows to
reduce jitter: better clock, better RF/EMI isolation, etc.

--
325xi