I use a Mac but refuse to use the Itunes Music Store because I feel that
DRM is a violation of my rights to play music that I have purchased on
any device of my choice.

I do, however, use iTunes to manage and digitize all my music. It is
very good at those functions and integrates well with my various iPods
and Slim Devices products.

I choose not to buy music online (iTunes Music Store or others) to
avoid DRM. I buy new music on physical CD media (mostly from Amazon
because of overnight delivery) and immediately rip it into iTunes. This
works quite well for me and gives me both digital and physical back
ups.

You do not have to use the iTunes Music Store in order to have iTunes
manage your music library.

--
jbuccino