flipflip Wrote:
> I reckon that the flash size has no influence on the performance. As far
> as I know, it is used to store the boot loader, the kernel and an initrd
> image. These will be loaded on boot and are not used for operation. But
> I may be wrong about that.
>
> Btw, there is a beta release firmware for the DS-101 (version 366)
> which does not use up memory for a ram disk anymore. So the full 64 MB
> are available for programs. SS therefore runs rather well compared to a
> DS-101j. The PPC models may still be faster, though. At least the 64MB
> variants.
>
> flipflip

Hi flipflip,

I contacted Synology and asked them how big impact the memory had in
terms of running a webserver for photosharing, additional to
slimserver. They said that the 64Mb compare to 32Mb would only be
usable if there are many different server connections (many people or
processes that acces the server simultanisly). That question then was
only related to the two PPC models 106e and 101g+.

Regards
Stefan

--
Stefan71a