A few thoughts -

For mp3s, I think embedding the album art into each file tag is a
viable choice.  For a 200x200 pixel jpg we're usually talking about an
extra 8k-10k per track.  For a 10,000 track library, that's only about
100MB total.  You'll never have a problem with image filenames or
losing the image.  The image will always go where the music goes.
There are a lot of programs that can display embedded album art, and
many more future interfaces will use the feature. It's just easier and
more elegant to put the image in the tag.

Now if there was a good way to embed images in FLACs, I'd be a happy
camper.

--
Pale Blue Ego