If Transporter sounds better in your system then it will be worth the
money to those who take the sound so seriously that they throw loads of
money at achieving their nirvanha. If you don't have a pretty high end
system the chances of you noticing the difference between it and a SB3
are virtually non-existent.

The two pertinent points for me are:

1) As Pat pointed out the high end market is very small... margins are
high (the opposite of the iPod/fridge pile-em-hight mentality..
although I might be a little wrong on the iPod bit as I think the
margins when I bought my 3rd generation 40gb piece of crap were
probably quite high). In the audiophile world the Transporter is very
cheap. In this oddly convoluted world cheapness seems to be a reason
not to buy a product! I am interested to see who will actually buy it.

2) The software will have to be rock solid (especially on the OS of
least resistance).

Saying that... there is a reasonable chance I will buy it, having  a
moderately high end system. I would want to listen to it first though.
I will have to be convinced that Slimserver 6.5 is totally robust
though as I have spent far, far too long getting the software to work
correctly up to now (it's been going on for at least two years) and do
not want to spend any more time doing it, especially if I've spent £2k
(which is what I hope it doesn't cost in the UK, but think it probably
will). This I think is the crux of it's success. You cannot persuade
someone to buy a 2k piece of kit, however well the hardware is
engineered, if they have to spend any time at all maintaining the
software.

I will then dump my ugly and unnapreciated Benchmark Dac, my SB2, my
linear PSU and probably my Naim pre-amp... meaning the thing will not
end up costing me less of an arm and a leg... in the end.

I'd like to think that's it and I'll not buy any more hifi after
that... but I'm sure that's pretty much pie in the sky.

MC

--
ModelCitizen

Squeezebox2 > Benchmark Dac1 > Naim NAC 82 > Naim NAP 250 > Shahinian
Arcs.
Music catalog: http://modelcitizen.mine.nu/music.txt