I've had some major problems with the QNAP TS-101 and the built-in
SlimServer. I've had the device for many months and it's only recently
that I've been experiencing these problems.

No 1 - SlimServer
The SlimServer web interface no longer responds. Web browsers state
that the web page is not found. This is at http://192.168.0.4:9000/ and
has always worked in the past. I’ve re-booted the TS-101 many times with
no result. Note that I can access the TS-101 admin pages on
http://192.168.0.4:6000/ so the TS-101 kinda works.

My SqueezeBox states that it cannot find the SlimServer either. I’ve
re-booted the SqueezeBox many times with no result. I’ve got the
SqueezeBox logged into SqueezeNetwork for now.

No 2 – TS-101
Although I can access the TS-1-1 admin pages at
http://192.168.0.4:6000/ using the default login and password there is
a small problem in that the “QNAP Install Wizard” does not now allow me
to re-map the drive…it asks me for the login details (for some reason it
fills in by name in the User Name field) and I enter the
Administrator/admin default but an error message comes up that the
server is not found on the network.

But if I use the “QNAP Install Wizard” to go into the “Configure”
options I can enter the Administrator/admin details and this does work
(the other interesting thing is that it does re-fill in the
Administrator name with “Administrator” rather than my name).

Note that I can use windows to get to the “public” folders which where
(many months ago) mapped to the X: drive…I can use Windows Explorer to
go straight to the X: drive. It’s very slow though and mostly comes
back with a time-out error.

I can also navigate to the TS-101 using Windows Explorer by using “My
Network Places” but it is so very slow that it takes like several
minutes to respond and now mostly comes back with a time-out error.

No 3 – Firmware update
I noticed that the firmware on the TS-101 is v1.1.0 and so I tried to
update to v1.2.1 using the update at
http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update/ and using the TS-101 admin
update page but when I hit the update button the TS-101 says that the
update failed.

No 4 – Miscellaneous
Quite often now, the HDD light on the TS-101 is continuously lit-up (no
flashing) for several minutes and in that state the TS-101 web admin
pages are very, very slow to respond.

No 5 – HELP!
I would like to re-install the TS-101 from scratch with a format, etc
but I have no way of installing the SlimServer software. I’m not sure
how far Paul has got in his discussion with QNAP for users to have this
SlimServer install facility.

So, what can I do? Thanks for reading this far anyway!

Regards,

--
matharu