I'm likewise in the "congrats" camp.  Sean and the team at SD, as well
as all those other contributors from the developers forum have done a
fantastic job and developed a great product in the Squeezebox.  But I'm
not surprised that SD has decided to come under the umbrella of a larger
organisation in order to take it to the next stage.

The fact it was announced here first and immediately followed by some
posts from Logitech shows that everyone is sensitive to this
community's likely reaction.

The big issue for me is how SD can continue to harness this vibrant and
quite unique user / developer base to improve the product, whilst making
it "user-friendly" enough to move it to mass market.  Someone recently
suggested the software could split into two - a "it just works" version
(mp3, wma only not so many option), and the current ultra configurable
version.

I hope that the deal with Logitech takes account of the things that are
likely to be most important to the community developer group -
open-source, cross-platform, multiple format support being the three
that come to my mind.  In the time I've spent on the boards, my
impression is that they can act as a crucial "sense check" on new
product features and code.

Without knowing any of the details, I suspect that SD could have been
sold for more if the product line had simply been handed over and the
software closed off (or at least the current software no longer
supported and new, closed source software subsequently implemented),
and so I'm hopeful that this is the beginning of just another chapter.

--
Siduhe