Mark Norton;148182 Wrote:
> Is Open Source really a philanthropic gesture? Does it matter that you
> might struggle to pay the bills/fix up the car/put your kid through
> college as long as somebody really likes your sort algortihm? Isn't
> there a tinge of envy out there, a feeling that it should have been
> you?I have always felt that it had to be. I've been a developer for over
twenty years but I have never understood how distributing my work for
free would keep my mortgage lender happy. I just don't see it.

I can understand why you'd do it (and I've done it on a small scale in
newsgroups) but surely it has to be philanthropic. That being the case
- why are so many people so keen on making everything open source?

--
AndrueC