I think Sky+ has to be the most useful gadget ever, closely followed by
my SB3/QNAP combination.

I have also just bought a Kiss DP600 DVD player which will play
recordings in high definition at full HD resolution via HDMI (I am not
talking about HD-DVD or BluRay). It is really good for playing avi
(MPEG-4) files, particularly as it has a USB socket that takes flash
drives. You can also stream directly from your PC (ethernet or
wireless). I have also read somewhere that it possible to stream
directly from a QNAP TS101 with a bit of tweaking. It's pretty cool!

The only problem is that it is a bit quirky and build quality is not
great.

--
Andy_W