On 11/5/06, Nostromo
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is probably a very simplistic analysis

To say the least. And a bit insulting, too. I think you underestimate
I think people who only listen to albums are a bit old school. They've
listened to albums all their lives and continue doing so on their
Squeezebox. They're missing out, IMO.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, this is pot :)

We're all pretty much motivated by the same thing IMHO, which is
getting the maximum enjoyment out of the music collection without
putting a lot of effort into it. While I am personally happy with
playing full albums and shuffling the whole collection, I do see the
attraction of smart playlists -- I just don't see it as being
attractive enough to run iTunes/MIP/Erland's plugins alongside the
Slimserver.

That said, you're probably right that there is a dividing line... I'm
reminded of the argument over iTunes and iPods, in which about half of
the commenters thought they're The Best UI Evaaaah, and the other half
bear A Pure Hatred. Much like this argument (or OS wars, or politics),
neither side could see where the other was coming from. Call it what
you will, it's worth realizing that Slimserver was written by and for
the latter group...

I dare say that the importance of smart playlists to the former group
is understood by this community, since it has been a regular
discussion of varying intensity for two years now, and drove the
relationship with Pandora. That being said, it's been a weather* issue
as far as the core product is concerned, possibly because over half
of the users don't care much (see poll results). As long as it appears
that plugins and partnerships are meeting the need, the developers
will stay focused on other important issues.

*Weather: everyone complains, but no one ever _does_ anything about it.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional