Havoc;154296 Wrote:
>  So sacrifising the artist for composer isn't an option either as that
> would introduce as many problems at the other side.

It's not a question of "sacrificing" ARTIST.  Artist, IMHO, should be
used for the one main piece of information about a piece of music that
tells you who its by. For non-classical that's the performer. For
classical its the composer.

So don't be shy or purist, set both ARTIST and COMPOSER for classical
music, and make use of the CONDUCTOR, BAND and PERFORMER tags as well.
For non-classical just let ARTIST be the performer and thats probably
all you need.

To keep different versions of the same piece apart, I do put the extra
info in the ALBUM tag too (eg "Symphony 1 in C Minor, Op 11 - Karajan -
Berlin Phil").

While I quite agree about the need for better search and browse (which
is why I wrote the bugs!) I really wouldn't let this current limitation
stop you using the system, it really does work very well if you're
prepared to put a little effort into the tagging in the first place.

Ceejay

--
ceejay