It has been mentioned that a lot of people do successfully use a
complete wireless system to connect their server and SB to the router
and I'd just like to vouch for this.

My router is in a cupboard that is pretty central to the whole house
... my PC (running SS) is in the office in the loft and my SB is
downstairs in the dining room and it's all wireless. My house was built
in 1940 and all the internal walls are solid brick (none of these flimsy
'cardboard' walls you find in new builds). Well, basically, it all works
beautifully.

I have a Netgear DG834 router and I made a point of buying a Netgear
NIC for the PC. I have seen installations that use different brands of
router and NICs and the performance has been utterly rubbish. When the
router was changed the difference was staggering.

My only other question in relation to this topic would be what the
transmission power of a laptop based NIC is when compared to a PCI
based one?

Cheers,
Gavin

--