grimholtz wrote:
> Attacks against AES are transferrable to WPA if you use AES instead of
> TKIP (AES is preferred). Bottom line: by not using a cryptographically
> secure key for AES encryption, you are increasing the chances of a
> successful brute-force attack.

Any one who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits
is, of course, in a state of sin.
    John von Neumann, 1951, quoted by Knuth

all true, but the first question in any discussion of cryptography is
"what is the value of the resource?" and then "what attacks are expected?"

For 99% of folks, the value of the resource is pretty small, and the
typical attack is someone freeloading off your WiFi to get free access.
In my house, I can see four neighbor's WiFi access points, none
with serious security. I live in a fairly spread out suburb.
My daughter lives in an apartment near a college campus, she
can see a dozen unprotected WiFi points.

If you have lots of financial information on your computers, or are
running a porn website out of your basement, you have higher
concerns. If you are just protecting some music on a slimserver,
there are other things to worry about than the strength of
your crypto keys.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html