WrightDawg;155800 Wrote:
> Thanks for the comments Mark.  As for my router I do think this is the
> issue, but I'm not familiar enough with networking to figure it out.
> I"m in mixed mode, with a 64 bit WEP enabled, which wasn't a problem a
> week ago before this happened.  Under access restrictions nothing is
> blocked.
>
> I tried to PING the SB3 (using the ip address that it has assigned
> itself 169.254.169.84) and got the following result:
>
> PING 169.254.169.84 ( 169.254.169.84 ) : 56 data bytes
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> --- 169.254.169.84 ping statistics ---
> packets transmitted = 5 , packets received = 0 packet loss = 100%
>

> So it seems obvious there is no connection whatsoever and something is
> blocking it.  Maybe I need a different router?
Unless your router is factory defective, there is no need to change it.
For some reason your SB3 can not get an IP address from DHCP running on
the router. I would approach the problem in the following way:

- bring SB3 close to the router to eliminate signal strenght issues
- I believe there is a MAC address at the back of SBS. Take note of it,
it looks similair to 0f4a12...
- enter your router admnistration via browser. If you do not know the
ip of your router, do "ipconfig /all" at command prompt of your
windows.
- if your windows box is 192.168.1.101, then most likely your router is
192.168.1.1. The part "192.168.1" is your subnet. DHCP server will
assing IP addresses for the last chunk, usually from 100 to 255
- in the setup pages of the router there is a DHCP page where you can
assign a fixed ip address based on the device mac address. You type in
the MAC address of the device and the ip address - let say
192.168.1.10. Keep the ip under a 100, over a 100 is usually reserved
for dynamic address
- turn of encryption to eliminate as a factor
- save router setting, reboot SB3

You already mentioned that you do not bloc MAC addresses, so this
should work. Also give your network name (SID) that can dinstinguish
your network form the neigbours. I have at least 3 "linksys" networks
in my hood.

--
georgem

George