Tbrooke;157776 Wrote:
> Are there any flac quality services or stations.

Almost none.  I've heard mention of a couple but it's exceedingly rare.
The continuing bandwidth demand is very expensive.

Also the general public views 96 - 128 kbps MP3 as good enough so
there's no big drive to change.

> I noticed radioIo has CD quality - What does it mean?

It's the most misused term ever devised by marketers.  It can mean
whatever they want it to mean.  True "CD quality" is 1440 kbps WAV,
although lossless compression like FLAC at ~1000 kbps is identical.
Below that, it isn't "CD quality" per se.

Now I have heard many here say that well-made 256 kbps MP3s sound
identical to FLAC, but the fact is that MP3 is not CD quality because
if you decompress it to WAV you get a file that's different from the
original CD WAV.  Whether or not you could hear the difference depends
on your hearing and equipment, but a mathematical check will show that
the two files are different every time.

--
Mark Lanctot