Jim >>> Thanks ever so much for a very clear and comprehensive summary -
it was really helpful.

I think I will take your hint, and stick to 'clear & rescan' as the
most reliable method of updating the library.  This does not take long,
as I only have three thousand or so tracks.

As 'clear and rescan' seems to operate without stalling or crashing on
my system, I won't bother trying to untangle the problem with 'look for
new/changed' - so you've also saved me a lot of time and hassle.

It was good of you to spend time on this.  Thanks again!

--
Diana

--
Diana