nicoff wrote:
First post here so if I am asking for something that has been covered at
length elsewhere please excuse.
I have what many would consider a high-end audio system. I bought a SB
recently and love the idea transferring my entire CD collection to the
computer. I am using EAC to get FLAC files and streaming them to my SB.
I am transferring the digital data from the SB to a digital preamp
(Lexicon MC-1) which does the digital/analog conversion.
My first impression is that I sort of prefer the sound of my standalone
CD player (by a tiny margin)than when using the SB. (BTW, my CD player
is a Sonic Frontier CD-1, a tube player (yes, vacuum tube) that only
has analog outputs; no digital). So no D/A conversion is needed by the
Lexicon digital preamp when using the CD player.

You probably mean that no D/A conversion is *possible* by the preamp...

IANAA (I Am Not An Audiophile), but I understand the attraction of tubes is that they colour the sound. You won't get this colourization from the SB or the Transporter so if that's what you prefer you'll have to wait for the tube version of the Transporter. (well, if they can build a tube CD player, why not a tube network audio player?)

I am going to assume that if I am streaming digital data to a digital
preamp the SB and the Transporter should sound the same. Am I correct?

Sounds reasonable to me, but IANAA...

Using analog output, would I be able to hear a noticeable difference in
sound (for the better of course) if I were to use the Transporter and
its analog output versus the SB?

I certainly hope so for the poor sods who paid $1700 extra for it ;)

Regards,
Peter