I'll add my tuppence as well...
I spent a lot of time researching the best format to use for my needs,
wanting to keep the quality of my CDs intact.
I decided to use FLAC, and have not regretted it, for all the reasons
already mentioned.

If your SB3s are going to be connected via wirelss to your server (as
mine is), decreasing network bandwidth requirements is a key factor.
Most importantly for me though, is the tagging schemas that FLAC
supports. You cannot embed tags in WAV files, SlimServer will only have
the directory path and file name to go on, which is not a problem, but
very limited.  You won't be able to use the extensive tag capabilities
of Slim.

I didn't use EAC though, I lost patience with it.  Instead I used
dBpoweramp, which I can highly recommend (for Windows that is), along
with the AccurateRip plugin.  I think it does as good a job as EAC, but
I know others will disagree.  Works for me though.

Chris.

--
chris.mason