fairyliquidizer;166794 Wrote:
> I checked and that's what my current stuff is tagged and I just edited
> the album I added to that.  I guess a lot of people may use software
> that rips to \artist\album\track and have problems with the "/" which
> is not a legal character in a windows directory name.  Hmmm do Linux
> filesystems struggle with "/" given it's their directory separator?
>
> Basically I am confused by FreeDB having such ugly options.  I will see
> what MusicIP thinks if I ask it to repair the tags.

Remember that your tag info and your filename don't have to be the
same.  With that said, MusicIP is exactly what I was going to suggest:
it's probably the easiest way to access 'MusicBrainz'
(http://www.musicbrainz.org) for your tags, which is such a vast
improvement over FreeDB that there's no comparison.  The coolest thing
about MusicBrainz is that it's user-editable, so if you're a fan and
see something wrong, you have the power to edit it just like a Wiki.

MusicBrainz also offers their own tagger called 'Picard'
(http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/PicardTagger) which, while more difficult
to use than MusicIP, does allow tag-based file naming, and explicitly
allows you to exclude characters, do firstname lastname or lastname,
firstname and that kind of stuff.  You can go ahead and rip with EAC
and use FreeBSD or whatever tag and filename information, then let
Picard fix both the tags and the filenames.

So, I use Picard and MusicIP, and on my FreeBSD system I have my files
organized artist/album/track.  I have Picard strip out the / for the
filename, so the artist folder is actually named "ACDC" but the tags
are "AC/DC"

--
thing-fish

[image: http://imagegen.last.fm/3line/recenttracks/thing-fish.gif]