One mild warning about ripping to aiff files:  There seems to be some
sort of issue in more recent versions of Slimserver with not reading
all the tag information correctly (for me, at least).  If I have "use
iTunes" turned off, Slimserver seems to only sporadically pick up
certain tag fields (disk #, composer, occasionally even some more
common fields), sometimes doing different things for different tracks
of the same CD.  It DOES seem to work properly if I have "use iTunes"
turned on, but then it isn't really reading track info from the files,
but from your iTunes XML file.  (Why would you want to set "use iTunes"
off?  Well, for example, I don't want my audiobooks to show up in
Slimserver, so I keep them in a separate directory and just have
Slimserver scan the music folder.  I wish I knew a different way to
exclude a genre from Slimserver without affecting iTunes...)

I did try to bring this up with Slimdevices tech support, but was told
that Slimserver didn't support tags in aiff files and they were just
like wav files, where it tries to figure out the info from directory
structure.  This clearly is not the case (otherwise how could it pick
up composer info for at least SOME tracks?), but the person I was
emailing lost interest when I found that setting "use iTunes" on would
take care of things, so I doubt anybody is actually looking into the
intermittent way tag info is read.

I have heard rumors that the next version of OS X (Leopard) might
support FLAC files natively.  If that DOES turn out to be true, then I
will be converting everything over to FLAC's, but for the time being
aiff's seem a decent choice, if you have the disk space.

--
mmcguff