morberg;167788 Wrote:
> You made some excellent points in your post, but missed one that made
> the choice easier for me: 802.11g rather than 11b.

You got a point there as well... but: 11b devices may slow down a 11g
network a tiny bit, but who many normal consumers know or care? 11b is
sufficient enough even for uncompressed data I guess (will use not even
2 of the 11 available MBit/s). So it's more or less again just a point
for a quite small group of users.

Dave Dewey;167803 Wrote:
> But how many of those people are serious music listeners?  In my
> opinion, the Squeezebox is not a product for people that are content
> listening to FM radio in their cars or are content with the storage
> capacity of their Nano.

In my opinion, Logitech is a name that stands for quality products, but
also for making affordable quality products for the masses.

Selling more units means more turnover means more return. It also means
less production costs which means even more return. On the other hand,
making things easier to set up for the masses wouldn't even raise the
per-unit production costs.

Might be nice to feel like an elite who knows how to handle the setup,
but won't pay Logitechs employees and shareholders - and, no doubt
about that: they're in for profit (like any commercial operation,
nothing bad about that), not for pleasing a few elite audiophiles, who
wouldn't even lose their quality, just their elite
I-know-how-to-setup-these-things felling ;)

> Most people in my experience that are serious enough music fans to
> accumulate large collections are technologically savvy enough to deal
> with a Squeezebox.

That may be true of the people who found their way here - but lets be
honest, most people with really huge music collections in general are
not these audiophiles, but people who know how to use P2P.

Malor;167860 Wrote:
> 6. Softsqueeze.  Both a useful player and a great sales tool.

Compare it to the competition - Firefly and iTunes as a PC client - and
it's just an awkward player. Granted it's really nice to test the
feeling of using the unit beforehand. But then, it gives users the
chance to try to setup the software beforehand. Might be fair, but may
spoil a few sales because people who thought they would be able to set
up things and be content with it may actually experience they aren't.

--
CCRDude