I'd say there's a strong chance those scratches were in the protective
film covering the display, which would ordinarily be removed by the
consumer. As shipped, there's an obvious adhesive tab intended to lift
the film, which on my unit merely separated itself, leaving the film
intact. Only *very* close inspection revealed the edge, which I then
lifted with a fingernail. Although the film is very thin and very
transparent, I wouldn't expect it to be as durable as the aftermarket
screen protectors sold for PDAs and similar devices. Scratches on it
wouldn't surprise me at all. Better check again and figure out what you
really saw before jumping to conclusions. If you're still worried about
durability, there's always the (disposable) aftermarket protector
sheet.

--
jpj