NauticusLX, the "Nokia 770" skin for SlimServer has certainly sold more
than a few 770s and N800s. Have you tried it yet? Just punch this URL
into your N800 browser, then bookmark it:

http://<your-slimserver-host-ip>:9000/Nokia770/

You get all the extra functionality (and eye candy) of the web
interface, and don't have to worry about line-of-sight. I have two
Squeezeboxes and can control both from wherever I am.

That's really the application that originally put the 770 on my
personal radar. I also have a Palm T5 for PDA functions and MP3
portability, and a RAZR V3m phone that can do some of the same things
in a half-hearted way. Still, the RAZR fits so easily into a pocket (no
belt clip, thanks) that mostly I use its calendar and leave the Palm
home. Verizon's Mobile Web and VCAST whetted my appetite for Internet
on the go, but the low res screen is rather limiting.

Armed with a couple 4GB SD cards, the N800 can carry an extensive music
library and plenty of maps for the Maemo Mapper program (and Bluetooth
GPS receiver). It finally makes coat pocket web browsing a reality, and
with a Bluetooth keyboard will probably move a lot of my email handling
away from the desktop. I expect to migrate from the Palm to open source
alternatives, retiring that device. Essentially, I'll be using the N800
more like a modular laptop in a PDA form factor.

Beyond all that, as a professional software developer I'm really
attracted to the N800 as a target for new applications, based on its
ultra portable aspects and the open source paradigm. It's always fun to
mix business and pleasure.

--
jpj