mattybain;171598 Wrote:
> I am curious whether anybody has had any success with the 4gb SD cards
> that are around. I know Nokia says 2gb is the limit but with most of
> their devices the limit is usually bendable.

I'm currently using two Transcend 4GB SD cards (TS4GSD150) successfully
in the N800, for a total of slightly under 8GB removable storage. But
there are a few gotchas:

Make sure you buy regular SD cards, not SDHC "high capacity" which do
*NOT* work at this time. 4GB cards exist in both flavors, so the
difference is crucial. 8GB and future higher capacities (up to 32GB
under the spec) will always be SDHC as well.

Linux kernel support for SDHC has recently become available, so there
is good reason to expect it will be ported to the N800 in the
foreseeable future. (With the original Nokia 770, 2GB RS-MMC support
arrived via a similar midlife upgrade.) If your need for maxed-out
storage is not immediate, you might want to monitor
www.internettablettalk.com for new developments on this front.

Also, it's doubtful whether "high speed" or "ultra speed" cards (like
the 150X models noted above) will perform any better than "normal
speed" (e.g., Transcend TS4GSDC) in this device. Crude benchmarks
suggest that the N800 clocks its SD slots at 25MHz, not the 50MHz
required for higher transfer rates. Given this constraint and the
expected addition of SDHC support in the near future, normal speed
cards might be the smarter choice today.

Finally, if your intended usage involves large numbers of very small
files (such as maps for GPS navigation), I _strongly_ recommend
reformatting the SD card with smaller clusters. This can be done over
the USB connection to a Windows PC, as well as Linux console tools. My
cards came preformatted as FAT32 with 32KB clusters, which is extremely
inefficient for this particular application.

For a concrete example, the open source Maemo Mapper works with
downloaded maps from various sources, including Google Maps. It
stitches the display from 256x256 pixel tiles in PNG format (streets)
or JPG (topo). At the largest scale (zoom level 15), a 4x4 grid (16
tiles) covers the globe. Each successive level zooms in by a factor of
2, needing 4 times as many tiles to cover a given area. The most
detailed PNG tiles take roughly 50KB each, but the average is much
lower, with a lower bound of 103 bytes for featureless areas such as
open water. Most users amass a collection of large scale maps for large
areas, amplified by smaller scales for specific areas or individual
routes.

Full global coverage at zoom levels 10 - 15 comprises 21,840 files,
totaling 32.2MB at this time (subject to change as the database
evolves). With the default 32KB FAT32 clusters, these files occupy
684MB on the 4GB flash card: over 95% wasted space! Reformatting with
1KB FAT32 clusters slashed the allocation to 48.5MB, or a 14X
improvement in storage density. A 2GB SD card could do even better with
512 byte clusters (the FAT32 minimum), but this option is unavailable
for 4GB and larger partitions.

The downside to reformatting is reduced throughput, since the
allocation units become smaller than the internal block size of the
flash device. So cards intended for larger files such as audio, video
or photos should be left at the factory format.

--
jpj