I would suggest taking a look at
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide and
the wireless tweaks suggested there, particularly NetStumbler.

Brian Ritchie;171076 Wrote:
> One change I made a few days ago (after a particularly annoying flurry
> of failures) was to switch the wireless router from channel 11 to 13;
> for a while I thought that'd cracked it; but no. (I'll have to change
> channel again tomorrow, for I need to work from home, but my stupid
> work laptop's internal card is triskadecaphobic.)

This is probably a regional thing - channels 12-13 are licensed in
Europe/UK but not in North America.  See if there's a new wireless
driver for the laptop and make sure you download it from a UK site or
somehow indicate you're from the UK.

Incidentally, I strongly suspect this is why the Squeezebox asks you
what region you're in when you're setting it up.  Using channel 13 in
North America would ensure virtually no competing networks, but your
router firmware would have to cooperate and you'd have to lie to your
Squeezebox.  Lying is not a good way to start a relationship.  ;-)

--
Mark Lanctot