NauticusLX;171748 Wrote:
> 3 cheers to kdf and azinck3!   I would NEVER have suspected, nor
> inferred by what Andy said (who claims to be a Slim Devices Developer)
> what azinck3 just said.

I don't know why you wouldnt suspect it.  I said the same thing a
couple days ago...  You even commented on it.

>  But then again, even in standby, the device is still really on, so
> could, although not obviously, respond to certain key strokes.  Very
> interesting.  Because, in the mind of most users, when the red button
> is pressed, it’s off, and off means off.  But then again, this is the
> SqueezeBox!

Do you believe that "Off" on your TV really means Off?  It doesn't.
Same with your DVD player and anything that allows you to turn it back
"on" with a remote.  See, it has to still have power or it would be
impossible to turn it back on.  The IR receiver has to be on.

> I’d like to test this - can a person test this by unplugging the lan
> cable from the wireless router, or does the downtime service message
> have to originate from the SqueezeNetwork servers?

As Andy said, it comes from a special "downtime server" that does
nothing but say, "Sorry we are down, back in a few" or whatever the
message is.

> I’ve noticed that the brightness state seems to be more random than
> azinck3 or others described, since when it goes into the “Now Playing”
> mode the brightness sometimes changes.   Azinck describes 3 brightness
> states: on, standby, and idle.  Isn’t the brightness state of the
> “standby” mode something Andy just invented?

No.  It's not.

Again, in the past, it would set the brightness on the "Sorry we are
down" message -- now it leaves the brightness alone.  If you were in
ultrabright mode, it will stay that way.  If you turned the brightness
all the way down, it will stay that way.

> And if he didn’t just invent it, then what had been it’s purpose?   I
> commented earlier that I thought it peculiar that there would be more
> than 1 brightness state.  Previous to now, what was the purpose of
> having multiple brightness states?

I like being able to read the display for what I am playing, so I have
it set to maximum brightness.  I am not that interested in what is not
playing, so it is one stop down from that in idle mode.  And when I go
to sleep and it becomes a clock: I have it at the same brightness as
idle.  You may want to change that third.  Giving you the choice of
making it appear as you like is the purpose of multiple brightness
states.

Isn't that a good thing?

If you don't like the choice, then I guess don't press the Brightness
button...

> And where does this “new” functionality reside?  It would seem to be
> impossibe, like my microwave spontaneously acquiring an 11th power
> setting.  What I’m getting at is, it seems that kdf has explained some
> feature that has always existed, and that Andy isn’t the accommodating
> wizard he seems to be.  Dorothy, it’s time to start clicking the heels
> of those sparkling red shoes!

Like virtually everything, it is server side.  In this case, on the
Squeezenetwork servers.

The Squeezebox itself displays very little after it boots -- it only
displays what the server tells it to do, and "Connecting to
Slimserver/Squeezenetwork" type messages.

Since the server can set the display brightness whenever it feels like
it, in theory it could set the brightness differently depending on type
of stream ("Pandora comes in bright, but Rhapsody is dim") but unless
someone can say why adding more modes than exist now, no one would
bother coding it.

--
snarlydwarf