cparker;172543 Wrote:

> This is very interesting research.  If other people have measuring
> devices, could I ask that they measure the usage of their amp and its
> make/model?  I'm looking to replace my amp in the future and want to
> find the least power hungry one!
>
> I'll measure my amp and put the details in this thread just for
> interest :)

If you want to post data, I'd suggest using the Wiki, and I'd suggest
only posting data about gear that's still available for sale. I
wouldn't expect many contributions, though -- most people don't have
the means to measure real AC power usage
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor). Most folks probably don't
even have multimeters for measuring Volt-Amps, to say nothing of being
comfortable rigging a multimeter into a live AC power line, or the fact
that there are Slim Devices customers worldwide.

I wouldn't worry too much, though. Every piece of regular electronic
gear I've tested that was made in the last 4 years or so draws about 1
watt or less in "off"/standby mode (when "off" really means "off",
unlike the Squeezebox, etc.) -- everything from my 30 watt computer
monitor to my 150 watt TV. IRBlaster should be great for such amps.

Older gear isn't as efficient. My 20-year-old stereo receiver from a
reputable company draws 7 watts in off/standby. My 6 year old computer
speakers have an automatic standby feature, but they draw about the
same power as the Squeezebox -- about 6 watts at normal listening
levels when on, and still about 4 watts when the speakers slip into
"standby" mode. This older gear begs for tools like AMPSwitch and
BottleRocket (I think).

-Peter

--
peterw