results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31930
Question: Do you use your Slim Devices equipment wired or wirelessly?

- All wired
- All wirelessly
- I have several units, some operate wired, some wireless

cliveb;172852 Wrote:
> I'm not sure that's appropriate. The point about wired ethernet is that
> it's carried via a medium that's completely under your control and is
> therefore immune to interference from third parties.
>
> Homeplug uses a shared carrier - the mains wiring. If a neighbour whose
> home is on the same phase as yours fires up something that injects loads
> of noise back into the mains (an arc welder, for example), then your
> Homeplug packets may possibly get trashed. (I don't know what happens
> if a neighbour on the same phase also has a Homeplug network - do his
> packets get back out past his meter and compete for the bandwidth
> you're trying to use?)
>
> Therefore, in terms of potential for dropouts I'd say Homeplug, while
> certainly less vulnerable, is more akin to wireless.

OK, but I had to fit it in the poll somehow.  ;-)  And there is copper
between the HomePlugs, so I thought of it as wired.  Plus apparently it
seems to behave like wired for most people, I've only heard of 1 or 2
problems on this forum.

--
Mark Lanctot

"It's like, you know, a New Age religion, but with better treble
response." - Jon Heal