DrNic;175320 Wrote:
> MP3Gain will let you change the reference point (as said above) but his
> only works when the value is written to the file (ie the track data is
> altered - rather than reading a value from a tag). Otherwise the
> analysis value stored to tag is like the value stored to tag from
> Foobar's Replaygain...

Playing around with the MP3Gain GUI, I don't know.  I can alter the
reference level at any time.  It appears that all it needs is one
"analysis" pass, either during that session or before.  In the file it
appears to store a value that it places in its "volume" column, the
"track gain" column is simply a difference between the volume value and
the reference value you type in at the top.

So when you open the GUI, the volume and gain values pop up instantly
for files that were previously analyzed.  If there's been no analysis,
there won't be any volume/gain values until they are analyzed.

When you change the reference value, note that the gain values change
instantly without rewriting the files (in fact they change as you type)
- this is indicating it's an in-session instant calculation based on the
difference between the new reference value and the volume value.  But
this new adjustment won't be saved in the file unless you do a track
analysis again.

The gain button operates the same but performs both the analysis and
alters the volume bits.  So the next time you view such files, you'll
always see a gain of 0 because the file's volume has actually been
altered to your reference value.  It will only indicate anything other
than 0 if your reference value isn't what you used when you altered the
file's volume the first time.

--
Mark Lanctot

"It's like, you know, a New Age religion, but with better treble
response." - Jon Heal