I would like to convert some of my music files in iTunes that are still
Mp3, to Apple lossless.

Why would you do that? I don't recommend you convert a compressed music file (MP3) to something lossless. You won't gain any improvement in music quality that way. You'll just have a much bigger file that sounds exactly the same.

I converted a file or 2 and noticed that the original song was still in iTunes. Is this normal?

Yes.

I am concerned that if I "select all" to convert, then I will have thousands of duplicates.

Converting doesn't remove the original, so yes, you'll have thousands.

Any suggestions? thanks in advance

Finally, although I'm a Mac person myself, I don't really recommend ALAC (Apple Lossless) because it's a proprietary format. For new rips, I suggest FLAC, unless you have to have it supported by iTunes. FLAC decoding is done natively in the SB2/3/Transporter, and ALAC has to be transcoded on the server side.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.