If I understand Patrick correctly, the cat5 cable was being used as an
audio cable to connect one amp to the other, using a line level
connection. Think of it as extending the SB to reach your secondary
amp. Using regular (unbalanced) audio cables over distances more than
1-2 meters often results in too much interference.

I think I misunderstood what you were trying to do when I replied to
your post in the audiophile forum. I've never used an Airport Express,
but from what I've heard from others it shouldn't cause havoc on your
network. Unless I'm missing something, you would end up with two
basically parallel systems:

1) Mac (running slimserver) > router > SB > Parasound

2) Mac (running iTunes) > router > Airport Express > NAD

with the Mac being the same computer at the base of both systems. Is
that about it?

If I were in your situation I would think hard about trying to find
someway to put control of your outside music outside, where you listen
to it. That could be as crude as moving your NAD to someplace near a
window and attaching another SB which you can control from poolside, or
something more refined. Search the forums for some nice outdoor-based
setups that people have cooked up. But if you don't mind continuing to
run back into the house to manage your tunes, I would say it doesn't
matter much which you choose.

--
aubuti