On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:09:50 +0100, "Michael Herger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> Is it time for Logitech to fork the build, so that the community can
>> take the GPL version for U*nix and there is a closed source Win32
>> binary for the man-in-the-street?
>
>What advantage would you hope to see by closing the source?

I think what he was getting at was that the Slim experience is as much
influenced by the software as it is the hardware, and by not
controlling the software Logitech may be risking developing a negative
product image when the community-developed-software is perceived to be
as buggy and difficult as some of the recent releases have been
perceived as being.

This didn't seem to hurt Slim Devices so much, but then they were more
of a grass roots type of company with many loyal early adopters.  Two
factors that could change that are, 1) the hardware is moving further
to the mainstream market where people are less likely to be willing to
tinker to get things working, and 2) the software becomes more complex
with each release and therefore the possibility of perceived quality
control issues will be greater in the future than it has in the past.

Note, I'm not making any judgements here, just fleshing out the
argument.