Pat Farrell;181799 Wrote:
> \
> Open or closed has nothing to do with speed of development. And adding
>
> more developers usually slows development efforts.

On point one: well, sort of. I guess the issue here might not be
open-source, so much as the leaders of the project being able to
force/entice/whatever other contributors to do things they don't feel
like doing. This is a classic problem in all-volunteer open source
projects. Of course, you can have a way around this by simply having
more employees of SD working on the code, so that the
unglamorous/unpleasant/boring/miserable stuff is more likely to get
done.

On point two, again, sort of, really depends. Sure it's the case that
in a project that's going along with a dozen programmers, suddenly
upping the number to a hundred probably won't help much. But if you
have a company sponsored open source project with a couple of employees
and some volunteers, adding new employees to the mix could help in
numerous ways. One is addressed above. Regardless of what the mythical
man month claims, you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater if
you try to claim that it never  or almost never helps to add
developers.

I've certainly been in situations in my career when getting a couple
bodies onto my projects when I was completely swamped was crucial, and
the only thing that enabled the projects to succeed. I'd guess that
many other people have, as well.

--
totoro

squeezebox 3 -> mccormack dna .5 -> audio physic tempo 4