Well, there are things going on at Slim Devices to which *I'm* not
privy, but I'll go out on a limb and say a few things.  At any other
company, I would run such a post by my manager, and probably his
manager, and maybe the PR director, but things are still "open" enough
here that I think my own judgment is good enough for this post.

The changes going on at Slim Devices broadly fall into two groups:
Logitech wants to capitalize on its investment after the acquisition,
and Slim Devices wants to use the financial backing of Logitech to
organize itself into a well-run business unit instead of a startup
running on a shoestring.  Add into the mix that all of us here are very
mindful that we don't want to lose any of the Slim Devices "magic",
whether that be engineering, quality, customer service, or "community".

Within a few months, you're going to see Squeezeboxes in major retail
outlets for which the old Slim Devices could have never manufactured
enough units, and advertising in places the old Slim Devices could have
never afforded.  Logitech has manufacturing and marketing muscle, and
it's not something that's just available to us, it's part of Logitech's
plan to sell a lot of Slim Devices products.  And that's a good thing,
because...

We can now afford to take a few risks on new products.  I'm still going
to follow Sean's lead on not announcing anything before its time, but
there are projects that Sean and Dean have wanted to do for a long
time, as well as some things that might work well with Logitech's more
traditional customer base that are now gathering steam.

These two areas are where we're spending our energy.

Throwing out the Slim Devices way of doing business is not part of the
plan.  I have been in meetings at Logitech now where we discuss
products that have been flops (or worse, are in the process of
flopping).  I don't want to insult my new coworkers, but many of these
flops are due to very strange thinking from a Slim Devices point of
view.  You can spend a lot of time doing market research and interface
design and writing specifications and developing hardware and software,
release it, fix some bugs, and start the whole cycle over again...

Or you can make it powerful enough and flexible enough and open enough
that the *customers* can *turn it into* the product that *they want to
use*.  Naturally there still has to be support and direction on the
Slim Devices side, but there are definitely real business benefits to
the Open Source approach.

Now, looking back at what I've written, can you see where in these
plans and priorities killing Slimserver would fit in?  Do see where a
plan to spend a lot of legal and development energy reinventing the
wheel and ending up with a proprietary software package would fit in?

Me neither.

--
ChrisOwens

Christopher Owens