Peter;182606 Wrote:
> Mark Lanctot wrote:
> > jonheal;182579 Wrote:
> >
> >> Being pretty much an idiot when it comes to networking stuff,
> please
> >> clarify something for me:
> >>
> >> As I understand it, encrypting your wireless broadcasts (hopefully)
> >> prevents an eavesdropper from reading the packets you send out into
> the
> >> atmosphere. Protecting the integrity of your network, and the
> machines
> >> on it, is another matter entirely. Am I wrong in that assumption?
> And
> >> if all your broadcasting is music packets, is it that big of a deal
> >> protect them?
> >>

> > I'm no more than a novice at this myself, but yes, this is something
> > outside a normal LAN.  If your machines are infected with various
> > backdoors, it doesn't matter how secure your WPA2 passphrase
> > is...although interestingly an attacker could still not find it out
> > unless he was running a keylogger as you typed it in.
> >
> > But in regards to just broadcasting music packets and packets
> destined
> > for an SB, you need to protect them even more because:
> >
> > - there will always be traffic an attacker could monitor
> >
> > - when broadcasting music, a steady stream of packets will be
> present
> > to analyze
> >
> > As I understand it, these attacks work better when you have lots of
> > packets to analyze.  Once an attacker derives a passphrase, he can
> (at
> > the very least) use your IP address for whatever purpose he wants.
> > This includes child porn - there have been several high-profile
> busts
> > recently where police are tracking offenders based on IP addresses,
> and
> > you would have to prove your wireless network was compromised in
> > court...meanwhile your name would be published in the local media.
> >

> Possibly, but the chances are rather small. I read an article on the
> exact way of cracking a WEP protected network recently and the 'bad
> guys' have devised a little trick to get lots of packets. They just
> grab
> one of your encrypted packets and (re)send it to one of your hosts. The
>
> host will receive the packet and reply to it, another packet to
> analyze... The method used in the article required two PC's, a special
>
> Linux boot CD and two wireless cards with a specific chipset. Quite a
> hassle still..
> > Once an attacker is on your LAN, he's also one step closer to
> accessing
> > your hard drive contents.  Your router won't stop him, it'll be up
> > software firewalls if he gets that far.  Blocking by MAC address is
> > useless here - he'll be able to see the MAC addresses of all the
> > devices on your network and can clone one.
> >

> It's a funny thing wireless security. If you leave your PC/network open

> [...]

Fortunately, I live on a cul-de-sac. I know all of the close neighbors.
Should I see someone parked in the cul-de-sac with a laptop, I reckon
I'll break out the Louisville Slugger, and said perp can figure on a
wood shampoo.

--
jonheal

Jon Heal says:
Have a nice day!
http://www.theheals.org/
~~~
SB3 (wired - 6.3.1) | Home-brew PC running XP Pro | DENON DRA-395 | PSB
Stratus Bronze (2) | Outlaw Audio LFM-2 (1) | DIY Speaker Cables |
Dayton Audio Interconnects