Nostromo;182653 Wrote:
> Squeezebox's are currently being assembled in California. Out of
> curiosity, where will the new Logitech branded Squeezeboxes and
> Transporters be assembled? In China? If so, it could mean cheaper
> Squeezeboxes and Transporters, probably with better parts and build
> quality. And that would be good. OTOH, what will happen to the folks in
> the States who used to assemble it?

I think it's a fair guess that Logitech wouldn't sell a lot of $300
Squeezeboxes in stores.  Moving the manufacturing of the current
Squeezebox design to China and taking advantage of economies of scale
could easily cut that price in half.  I'm guessing there may also be a
cheaper design in the works (although there's not much you can remove
from a Squezebox - maybe the digital out).

As for the Transporter - who knows.  The Logitech branding alone could
kill the product (damned snobs).  Even more so than the $300
Squeezebox, there's no place for a $2000 music player in the common
retail outlets like Best Buy and Circuit City.  Cut that price to $1000
and it wouldn't make much difference.  I don't see it making much
headway into audio shops, so the only viable means of distribution will
likely continue to be direct sales.

--
JJZolx

Jim