clarkc wrote:
> Apologies if this subject has been chewed over in the past. I have
> looked around in the forums here but see mostly micro detail rather
> than the big picture.
>
> I am looking to move to PC-based audio and have been researching how
> best to do this. The Slim Devices Transporter seems to be a great
> product in many ways. For example, the absolute level of audio quality
> is important for me and the Transporter has reviewed very well in this
> respect. The device also offers great connectivity along with fine
> aesthetics which, compared to some of the other PC-based audio products
> around, is a real plus for those who care about their living room
> environment.
>
> But now to my question: For a $2000 device, are Slim Devices serious
> about the user interface?
>
> I have spent time downloading Slim Server software and have tried it
> out briefly with SoftSqueeze to see how it works. IMHO it seems more
> like something produced by an enthusiastic hobbyist rather than a
> leading exponent of cutting edge audiophile technology. To me, it is
> extremely clunky, slow and visually challenged to say the least. The
> fact that so many Slim fans have invested such amazing energy into
> developing plugins/addons/skins, etc, to address this deficit is
> testimony to this.

That's a very superficial analysis, but I agree that SD should work on a
better stand alone front end app to satisfy people who want their
software to look as good as their hardware.
> I have also looked at the Sonos approach along with other media s/w
> offerings (e.g. iTunes, JRiver) and I am simply amazed at the
> differences. Having put such thought into the look and feel of the
> hardware and endowed the Transporter with so many outstanding features,
> it seems a real shame that the product is let down by such a primitive
> UI. This has unfortunately put my purchase decision in doubt.

Well, buy a Sonos then...
The Sonos remote is nice, but the system is closed and inflexible and
this probably won't improve any time soon. A matter of design philosophy.
You make the choice...

> Does this ring a bell with anybody else? Perhaps I am missing
> something?

Read the forum and you'll notice this theme popping up like clockwork.

My bet is that SD will come out with a smooth frontend app in the near
future thanks to Logi-money, the SD design philosophy *does* have lots
of room for improvement. Perhaps we'll even see an intelligent two-way
remote that (of course) works with the existing stuff.

Regards,
Peter