Hello,

I installed an SB3 for a friend in another city.  I used both the
analog RCA connection, as well as the toslink optical.  After about 10
months of faithful service, the optical connection packed up.  The
analog connection still works, fortunately.

Since it will be awhile before I can inspect the unit myself, I'm
curious if anyone has any suggestions as to why the toslink connection
may have failed, and how best to test such an optical connection.

It strikes me that there are a handful of possibilities:

-  The SB3 output may have failed,
-  The amplifier input may have failed,
-  The optical cable may have failed,
-  The cable may have become unplugged.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the relative likelihood of these
various possibilities?  For example, is a toslink output circuit prone
to failure in the SB3?  Given that the cable is in an undisturbed
location, are they known to spontaneously fail?  Or, is there a chance
that the toslink connectors work themselves loose with time?

Finally, what methods might one use to test the suspect components?  Is
there any way to test an optical cable?  If it were a coax, I would use
a VOM -- but I'm at a loss for optical cables.  Is there some manner to
verify that the SB3 optical output is functioning properly?  Or, is one
left with bringing extra cables and playing a game of mix-and-match to
try and diagnose the problem?

Any advice would be most welcome.  Thank you very much for your time!

AN.

--
ArgoNavis