> 1. How do you select which music to play today ?
> (Browse, Search, Random, Smart playlists, other?)

I browse by a series of tags.  Most commonly (for classical music),
Genre, Composer, Album (Work name) and then Artist (performer.)
Sometimes I have to finally select a particular version (mono, stereo,
rematering version).

Sometimes by Genre, Composer, Artist, Work Name.

Sometimes by Genre, Sub-genre, Composer, Work Name, Artist.

For other kinds of music, I use simpler orders of tgs.  However, for
old broadway standards, I start with Composer then Artist and then Song
name.  Or Song then artist.

That's what I do in J. River Media Center 12.  The browse panes (lists)
for all these tags are on the PC screen so I select tag values in the
order I want.

I'd like to do the same thing in a PC interface to Slimserver.  On the
SB display, I want to select one tag value and then a value for another
tag.

> 2. How would you like to select which music to play
> in the future ?

In addition to the above, I'd sometimes like for SS to pick at random,
playing all tracks of a single performance of a single work.  No single
tag is sufficient to specify all tracks of a single performance.

I'd like to tag my music files with whatever tags I want and then use
those tags to select music files to be played.

> - Do you like to be in control your self where you manually
> select exactly which song to play and in which order to
> play them ?

Most of the time.

> - If you like to be in control yourself do you do this by
> creating a number of static playlists that you use later
> or do you like to browse/search for the exact artist/song
> every time ?

I browse every time.

> - Do only like to use browsing functions or only search
> functions or both ?

On MC 12, 95% browse, 5% search.

> - Do you base the selection on what to play next on the
> currently playing song/artist ?

Mostly not.

> - Do you want the system to automatically select music for
> you ?

Sometimes. If it does it right.

> - If you want the system to select music for you,
> which type of logic should it base the selection on ?
> Do you want it to be totally random or should it do
> some more clever things ?

It should not be stupid like playing fragments of multi-track works
unless I say that is OK.

I should be able to specify Genre, sub-genre, Composer and such. I
should able to specify a smart playlist without writing code.

> - Do you want to system to automatically suggest music
> but still have the control to select exactly which
> of the suggestions to play ?
> What logic or information shall the suggestions be
> based on ?

Not iterested.

> - Do you want the selection to be based on other peoples
> listening habits or just your own ? For example by using
> information from LastFM/Amazon.com and similar sites for
> the automatic selection ?

Heavens, NO!

----
I'm impressed with your work so far.  I'm very disappointed that the
developers of SlimServer have done nothing to make SS/SB itself usable
for classical music in a year plus and according to the roadmap don't
intend to in the next major release.

Bill

--
Listener