aubuti;185006 Wrote:
> Certainly not if count how long it took me to figure out how to get
> slimserver on Windows read the library on my NAS!! But if you don't
> count that, Win2K was about 40% slower to scan than Ubuntu.
>
> Server hardware: Dell P3 500MHz with 256MB RAM,
> NAS hardware: Buffalo LinkStation HD-HG250LAN
> Network: 100Mbs ethernet through a Netgear WGR614v3 router
> Slimserver: Slimserver 6.5.1 (official release)
> Library:  298 albums | 3848 songs | 228 artists (mostly FLAC)
>
> The Dell is a low horsepower machine, but in neither case did it have
> to start swapping to virtual memory. In each case there was nothing
> else major running on the machine while it was scanning. Scanning times
> are....
>
> Windows 2000/SP4: 17:53 (mm:ss)
> (command: scanner --wipe --d_server --priority=0 M:\
>
> Ubuntu 6.06: 12:48
> (command: time /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/slimserver/scanner.pl
> --prefsfile=/etc/slimserver.pref --priority=0 --wipe --d_server)
>
> And for comparison, running on the LinkStation itself (running Debian,
> 128MB RAM and 266MHz PPC): 36:03

I guess I would expect it to be a little slower on windows since it's
dealing with a non-native file system. It would be interesting to see
if the difference is linear with larger collections.

--
jonheal

Jon Heal says:
Have a nice day!
http://www.theheals.org/
~~~
SB3 (wired - 6.3.1) | Home-brew PC running XP Pro | DENON DRA-395 | PSB
Stratus Bronze (2) | Outlaw Audio LFM-2 (1) | DIY Speaker Cables |
Dayton Audio Interconnects