Just thought i would post my experience here and share with
everyone....

I purchased my Squeezebox about a month ago and hooked it up to my
single, older (5 years) PC wireless to a bedroom system.  I immediatly
had two problems:

1. years of .mp3 collecting was worthless when amplified over a
mid-quality (Naim) amplifier and speakers.

2. as many here have reported, i would get hitching, studdering, poor
remote response and lost connections.  It worked fine for the first
week, then these problems occured.

I realized a single purchase would solve both these issues as well as
provide an expandable/flexible storage option.  I knew i wanted NAS
device so after much research and a recommendation from an IT
professional buddy, i went with the Infrant ReadyNAS+
http://www.infrant.com/wiki/index.php/Home  and a single 750gb drive.
It comes with slimserver installed.

Dream to setup, i just slapped a drive in, pluged it to my PC (Cat 6
gigabit ethernet of course).  I began re-ripping all my CDs to .flac
(with Audio Converter Studio
http://www.maniactools.com/soft/converter/index.shtml?Ref=5.4&b=5400 )
and BAM!  It has been working SOLID, like a dream for 2 weeks straight!
No resets or dropped connections, no hitching etc.  The .flac sounds
like heaven even compared to high bitrate .mp3 (as has been discussed
on these forums also).

Last weekend i picked up another 750gb, so now i have full redundancy.
So nice to feel my data (music only) is backed up!

The system seems pretty expandable.  Future plans:

- outboard DAC for even better sound (still researching)
- additional 750s, of course.  That ReadyNAS maxes out at ~3T but you
can chain them, or eventually they will probably have firmware update
for 4x 1T drives.
- more squeezeboxes around the house!  (it will be interesting to see
if i run into 8011.g bandwidth issues piping those fat .flacs to more
than 1 squeezebox simultanious).  I realy can't run ethernet cable
everywhere, so i'm looking into the 'ethernet-over-power' solution if
this becomes necesssary.

Anyway, enough ramblings.  I'm still a newbie, but figured those even
newer might appreciate hearing about my path and current EXTREME
happiness with the product and it's deployment environment.

ohyeah, Bit Torrent is the greatest thing since .html :)

cheers!

-jason

--
jsunandmax