Hamlet;190232 Wrote:
> Thanks for the Moose link. I played with it a bit and so far am pleased
> with it. It seems perfect for a tablet such as this one or the pepper.
> I believe the price of this unit falls closer to that of a laptop (I've
> seen used models selling near $1k). I believe there is value in having a
> flat device with touchscreen vs. a more cumbersome and possibly
> bigger/heavier laptop. I'm not sure I'd want to use a very small pda
> type screen, since that might be almost as tedious as using the
> remote.
> Between the Viewsonic and the Pepper, I guess the cost vs. screensize
> and other utility that you would want are the determining factors.
>
> I think my dream solution right now would be something like the N800
> with a few more inches of screen, and perhaps a usb port as a nice
> bonus (to plug a modem into) to give it the cost-effective second
> utility of a remote 'go-anywhere' internet access device.

Couple of notes on what you said, Hamlet.

The PepperPad3 is linux-based, so Moose is a no-go there. The
slimserver web UI with the Nokia770 skin would likely work well. Also
give SlimFX, the flash-based skin a shot (you'll need to search the
forums to find links for that).

Second, the Nokia N800 can go online by connecting to a cell phone via
bluetooth, so there is no need for the USB port you mentioned.

Also, search the forum for Tyler Durden's solution of using a Fujitsu
Stylistic tablet as a touchscreen UI. Pretty cool stuff, and seems to
fit exactly what you're hoping for.

cheers,
#!/ben

--