Hello,

I'm giving some serious thought about how to improve the multi-player
synchronization problem. In particular, the issue that players can get
out of synchronization with each other.

To make sure that I am starting in the right place, let me briefly
assert my understanding of how the current synchronization mechanism
works. Players are synchronized at the start of a track by filling each
player's buffer above a low-water mark while in 'buffering' mode (not
playing), and then putting all synchronized players into play mode as
near simultaneously as possible. Synchronization only occurs at the
start of a track, including when the track is a remote stream such as
an Internet radio station.

So the first question is why do players get out of sync? Some
possibilities:
1.      They start out of sync because the command to start playing is not
received sufficiently simultaneously by all players.
2.      The decoder clock rates may be different and so will drift slowly
relative to one-another.
3.      Individual players can suffer buffer under-run because the server
fails to keep them filled with sufficient data. This could be because a
source data stream suffers under-run and differences between player
buffer sizes and/or the differing levels of buffer fullness in effect
prior to this source under-run results in different effects for
different players.
4.      Software-only players, such as SoftSqueeze, may suffer
CPU-starvation.

Whatever the reason, one player can get behind. *What sort of delay
will be perceptible to the human ear?* Is anyone able to quantify the
boundaries between imperceptible / perceptible / irritating /
untenable? This is probably the crucial question as to whether my ideas
may be practical. A quick answer to this would help me decide where to
go from here.

Alan.

--
awy