I'm glad you're working on this, because sync was a major attraction in
deciding to go with SD, but it has always been a roll of the dice for
me. I have two wired SB2s and a wireless SB3, although the sync
problems show up even if I connect the SB3 via ethernet. Sometimes the
sync is fine, other times it's dreadful.

Most often, sync problems are a matter of getting out of sync at the
beginning of a track. I also have problems with drifting out of sync
while playing a track, but those seem much less common. I haven't
confirmed it yet, but I suspect that the sync problems are worse when I
am playing random tracks (such as with Erland's plugins). My thinking
(possibly incorrect) is that slimserver is trying to pick a new random
track to add to the end of the playlist at the same time that it's
trying to start the next track on the playlist simultaneously on 2-3
different SBs, but it just doesn't cope sometimes. But I haven't done
controlled testing of that theory, nor am I sufficiently fluent in Perl
to know if slimserver is really trying to do all of that at once.

This is all with my local music library. I don't try to sync internet
radio because it *always* drifts out of sync before very long.

--
aubuti