Arca;192447 Wrote:
> I was contemplating picking up a 500GB USB 2 external hardrive
> (7200rpm,16mb buffer), but before I did, I want to be sure there are no
> common problems.

Some people have had problems with SlimServer not being able to find
music on external USB drives, but (as far as I know) it's always been a
permissions problem when running on a unixy-type box. It's certainly
fixable...

Arca;192447 Wrote:
> Along the same lines, my computer goes into standby (S3), and I was
> wondering if the SB3 can nudge it awake, and if that would cause any
> difficulties with the external drive (like not being recognized). Just
> want to be sure before I drop $150.00 on another drive.

I have noticed my SB2 and SB3 occasionally say "Waking up SlimServer"
when they're powered on... but I've never needed to rely on it. (My
SlimServer box is an always-on, low-power Kurobox)

See also _'this_recent_thread'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32674)_ for a
discussion about waking up a sleeping server... I guess your server
box's ethernet card would need to support _'WOL'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN)_?

Congratulations on the new purchase - welcome to the club! :-)

--
mflint

'Clicky-woo linky'
(http://www.insignificant.org/wiki/index.php/Slim_Plugins) to web page