CatBus;192859 Wrote:
> The rest of your reply stands up just fine, but this bit doesn't.  Sure
> his comment was a wee bit strident and full of bad analogies and
> generalizations, but I don't think he ever claimed that a company was
> doomed to fail once it achieved mass-market appeal.

No, it is, according to the poster, guaranteed to lose every cent it
spends on acquisitions, which is exactly how most large companies
expand.  In this case, he believes the value of a SB will reach zero
just because of the acquisition.

> Not that this isn't just another unsupported generalization, but there
> are certainly plenty of historical examples of companies (and even
> national economies) who survive quite a long time while producing
> nothing but crap.  I tend to blame noncompetitive markets, monopolies,
> protectionism and racketeering for these examples, while he seems to
> blame this mass market appeal thingie.  It's all theoretical at some
> level.  I doubt any theory has enough predictive value to tell us what
> the Logitech purchase will or will not accomplish.

Well, I would worry if Sean said, "Oh by the way, we arent going to be
reachable for a couple weeks as the new overlords insist we move to
Switzerland to better meld into the corporate culture."

I don't see that, though, and it is hard to force people into a culture
when they are thousands of miles away.

I only blame "screw the niche market, if it doesn't sell a million
units, it isnt worth the time" attitude for compromising quality.  The
Logitech family of products, though, is huge.  Certainly they have
plenty of million-selling-keyboards-and-mice, but they also have items
that sell at much lower rates, so their business strategy seems to be
"something in every part of the spectrum" instead of just low end mass
merchandise stuff.

(though I spill coke and coffee on my keyboard enough to -want- a cheap
$10 keyboard, some people are less messy than I am, and seem to like
spending $200 on a premium keyboard...  personally I have no idea why
such a thing is useful... but they probably don't get why a SB is
useful.)

--
snarlydwarf