JJZolx;195530 Wrote:
> Are you kidding?  Auth/Capture is commonplace.  With smaller companies
> I'm quite sure it's the rule.  They don't have the systems (software)
> in place to coordinate the shipping phase of order completion with
> online credit card transactions that may have taken place days ago.

Yes, it is the norm for manually entered or swiped transactions, which
is what most mom & pops would do. But systems which accept orders for
physical shipped goods should not capture immediately when the user
enters their card info, and to my knowldge none do. That would be
really bad for a lot of other reasons. I totally missed the bit about
paypal, and thought that he had placed a credit card order.

> In any case, it's not applicable to this situation.  The _real_
> fly-by-night operations (there are many thousands) use PayPal, for all
> the insecurity and inconvenience that you come to expect in a shady
> business venture.

I agree and I take back what I said. Most likely they are in fact just
away from the computer. Still, bad form to tell people where to send
their money when you're not there to receive it.

--
seanadams