I consider the Squeezebox to be immensely successful product. It brings
network-based music server concept into the mass consumer market. Its
adoption of FLAC lossless compression gains acceptance by the
audiophile market. The competition is not sitting idle. Olive
(http://www.olive.us) has come up with similar product plus additional
useful features at very competitive price. The built-in hard disk even
though small in storage capacity is no doubt useful.  I find having a
small collection of favorite music in local hard disk useful because I
do not have to keep my SlimServer running all the time. Some other
features are quite neat too.

I hope Slim Devices are keeping tab of the competition and respond with
better products. Not that the Squeezebox is bad. But there are
competitions out there constantly trying to out do the Squeezebox.
Keeping up is the only way to survive.

--
kbelinski