OK, I have a provisional, hacked-up solution as follows. For the record,
this is server version 6.5.1 on linux (though I think this code should
be the same for other operating systems..?)

In /opt/slimserver/Slim/Buttons/BrowseDB.pm, lines 155-158 read:
$client->showBriefly({
'line'    => [ $line1, $line2 ],
'overlay' => [ undef,
$client->symbols('notesymbol') ],
});

I commented out those lines and replaced them with this single line:
Slim::Buttons::Common::pushMode($client, 'playlist');

I then did the same thing to /opt/slimserver/Slim/Buttons/BrowseTree.pm
(lines 109-112), and to /opt/slimserver/Slim/Buttons/Favorites.pm (lines
223-225)

Then after restarting slimserver, pressing "play" from browsing either
the database or the music folder, or from favorites, goes directly to
"now playing". Great!

There are many other conditions that could occur other than the 3 I've
covered. So I'll test this out on my system for a while and see if any
bugs appear. However, so far it's working well.

--
bukharin