Purchased a new PC (basic Dell) with Vista about two weeks ago, as it
was time.  Vista is definitely proving itself to be buggy with other
applications, but nothing like Silserver.  I'm a certified Old Guy, and
not computer literate by any stretch, but I do worship the slimserver
experience, both for the radio listening experience and ease of my CD's
having been converted to mp3.  This forum is invaluable.

My experience with Vista and Slimserver has been very frustrating,
although many thanks to Vdorta's workaround -- I don't know what I
would have done without it.  Nonetheless, even after downloading 6.5.2
and reinstalling using "Services.msc" the settings (especially for
SlimServerMySQL) don't want to stay set.  It just seems to change
itself, no rhyme or reason to it.  What's up with that?  Am I doing
something wrong?

And while I have tried upon installation to set Slimserver to start
upon system starting, that setting does not stay checked -- is there a
way to do it after installation?

Also: when I try to open Slimserver from the system tray I get: "Can't
open to write to:\ProgramFiles\SlimServe\SlimServerWeb  Interface Url:
Permission Denied."  Even after getting that, Slimserver opens --
sometimes -- from the desktop icon.  Or if neither will open
Slimserver, sometimes it nonetheless opens remotely by a wireless
laptop.

And like others have experienced, sometimes the Computer says
Slimserver is running, but it's not-- confirmed by using the
Services.msc drill, and, of course by the squeezebox itself.

Rebooting, etc. doesn't seem to help, and often seems to make a mess of
thing by changing my settings on "automatically start" to something
else.  As to firewalls: I think I'm all set with McAffee.  But with
Windows Firewall I guess I must be OK (since it's working now),
although I confess I do not see SlimServer come up when I look for
inbound rules.  Does anyone have a suggestion on that-- i.e., how to
make sure I'm OK with that.  Microsoft's guidance is simply Greek to
me, I confess.  And I would welcome a step-by-step on making sure IE7
is set properly, if someone would be kind enough.

Will this get better?

Matt
Silver Spring, Maryland

--